Location: Plain Township, Franklin County
Job Title: Finance Officer
Department: Fiscal Office
Reports to: Fiscal Officer
Status: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Position Summary: Under the direction of the elected Fiscal Officer, this position provides leadership and coordination of the Township's general financial and fiscal efforts, including budgeting, funding and investing. Communicate regularly with the Fiscal Officer, Administrator, and the Trustees to inform them of Township's financial performance and to support any financial decisions. Ensure compliance with the Ohio Revised Code and ensure all funds are properly appropriated. Manage Finance Office team, including hiring, performance evaluations, and recommending performance improvements and terminations.
- At least 3 or more years or more of fund accounting experience required.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or related field.
- Knowledge of township or local government systems and processes and ability to work with various levels of government
- Ability to effectively adjust to and work with diverse leadership management styles and various community and organizational stakeholders.
- Advanced knowledge and demonstrated use of Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint and general office machines.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Integrity and high value on ethical and moral behavior regarding operations, confidentiality, and overall team interactions.
- Current, unencumbered Ohio Driver’s License.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- At least 5 or more years or more of fund accounting experience preferred.
- Certified Public Accountant.
- 2 or more years in township or local government accounting strongly desired.
- Knowledge of Ohio Revised Code as it applies to township accounting practices.
- Manages and supervises finance staff to achieve goals within available resources; plans and organizes workloads and staff assignments; trains, motivates and evaluates assigned staff; reviews progress and directs changes as needed.
- Assists in the preparation and review of the annual budget and in monitoring budget compliance;
- To assists departments with projections and operating plans.
- Analyzes monthly and year-end reports to confirm revenue and expenses are in accordance with budget; recommends cost control measures or other improvements where appropriate.
- Create required financial reports and research and recommend other reports to support financial decision-making.
- Develops an annual report of revenues, transfers, and expenses for all funds.
- Monitor the Trust and Bank balances to be sure that the township is as liquid as needed.
- Prepare for audits and interact with third-party auditors, ensuring communication and compliance throughout auditing process.
- Explains financial policies, procedures, reports and ordinances to Township staff and elected and appointed officials and recommends appropriate modifications.
- Supervise, evaluate and improve accounting operations and recommend and implement financial policies and procedures.
- Record retention and safeguarding requirements regarding journal entries, account reconciliations, and general ledger reports.
- Research investment and funding strategies and makes recommendations to Fiscal Officer to maximize Township assets, as well as advise about available resources to allocate to investments and funds.
- Respond to public information inquiries regarding Townships financials and financial activity.
- Attend Trustee meetings and type and distribute minutes.
- Ensure required documents are filed with county and state agencies per the Ohio Revised Code.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Measurement: This position will be evaluated, in part, based on the following outcomes.
- Satisfactory stakeholder feedback as related to the communication, leadership, organizational and functional requirements of this role.
- General execution and completion of all tasks related to ensuring the administration needs of the
- Township offices operate effectively, as well as other responsibilities as assigned.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- This role is highly visible and requires that the individual be confident, professional and even-tempered in order to interact with diverse stakeholders.
- Position requires a high level of interaction with various township officials, citizens and auditors.
- May require that candidate take emergency calls related to pool operations outside scheduled hours.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Less than 10% overnight travel; travel within township, township interaction, etc., is expected.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Base hourly wages and overtime eligible.
- Health, Vision, Dental and Life Insurance provided.
- Ohio Public Employees Retirement contributions provided by the employer.
- Mileage as related to conducting township business when personal vehicle is used.
By signing below, both parties indicate that they have reviewed and understand the job description as
Manager/Supervisor & Date
Employee & Date
Plain Township is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of Plain Township to provide equal employment opportunity to employees and candidates for employment; therefore, there shall be no discrimination against any employee or candidate for employment due to race, religion, color, national origin or ancestry, age, sex, disability or other unlawful bias. This job description is designed to be a good representation of the job requirements by is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or re5ponsibilities required of the employee.