Ohio township fiscal officer training opportunities.
No one understands townships or township roles and responsibilities like the OTA. Beginning in March of 2022, the OTA will be hosting monthly workshops to further educate and provide resources to township fiscal officers on pertinent topics.
Whether you are a first-time fiscal officer or have years under your belt, be sure to frequent this page for dates for upcoming trainings.
- September 23
- Topic: Reconciliations and Proof of Cash
- Speaker: Lisa Woodford, Ohio Auditor of State’s Office
- Description: This session will help you identify and compile differences between book and bank activity, by month, in order to populate final adjustments needed to reconcile the books to the bank.
- October 20
- November 17
- December 16
- March 25 | FREE
- Topic: Roundtable – Best Practices for Fiscal Officers
- Speaker(s): TBD
- Description: This roundtable will offer an opportunity to openly discuss common issues that come up within your townships and how you handle them. We will also discuss what webinar topics you would like to be offered during the 2022 education calendar.
- April 22
- Topic: Preparing for an Audit of ARPA Expenditures: What to Do Now?
- Speaker: Auditor of State's Office
- Description: This workshop will address the potential ARPA audit from the federal government. Presenters will discuss the process, the most recent guidance and/or regulations that townships and the federal government will be following, what a township needs to do to prepare for a potential audit, and other timely advice. The presenting attorneys will offer real-world examples by sharing what they are seeing with their own township clients.
- May 27
- Topic: Demystifying Grant Seeking: Tools & Tips for Success
- Speaker: Kaye Borchers, Funding Specialist, ChoiceOne Engineering
- Description: This session focuses on seeking grant support for township projects and programs. The session begins with an overview of the role of grant funding in an organization and the prerequisites for seeking grant support. Kaye will then provide insight on how to identify grant opportunities, tips for writing a successful grant application, and tools for managing the grant-seeking process.
- June 23
- Topic: Construction Competitive Bidding and Procurement for Township Fiscal Officers
- Speakers: Laura Bowman, Attorney, Bricker & Eckler; Zeynep Kart, Attorney, Bricker & Eckler
- Description: Did you know that township competitive bidding requirements for construction vary by type of project and vendor? Learn more about risk factors to consider when selecting a construction delivery model as well as what you need to know to make sure your township is following Ohio law when hiring a design professional, contractor, construction manager at risk, or design-builder.
- July 22
- Topic: How to Organize Your Files
- Speaker: Trina Martin, UAN Specialist, Ohio Auditor of State’s Office
- Description: This class will be very helpful if you need some organizational tips to get your office streamlined from daily work, to audit, then to storage. If you are new to the office and are having trouble determining the best way to organize, these filing methods will make your job easier. The class is fast-paced and easy to understand.
- August 26
- Topic: Lunch n Learn
- Speaker: Moderated by the OTA
- Description: This quarterly roundtable will offer an opportunity to openly discuss common issues that come up within your townships and how you handle them.
Dates are subject to change. Please check this page closer to the event for the most updated information. For any questions, please contact Michael Zaky at firstname.lastname@example.org.