How to Become a Member of the OTA
Become a member of the OTA to receive great benefits and resources!
The Ohio Township Association has more than 5,000 active members, made up of trustees and fiscal officers from Ohio’s 1,308 townships, and more than 3,000 associate members. The annual membership drive is conducted through the 87 County Township Associations (CTAs).
Besides OTA dues, most County Township Associations require a supplemental fee for active and associate membership in their association. The fee is based on events offered to CTA members throughout the year. Some counties host events like ice cream socials or a fish fry, which are paid for through their annual dues.
NOTE: If you are a current member directed to this page after encountering issues creating your membership profile for the first time, please refer to this article.
Types of Memberships
There are three types of membership in the OTA:
- Active: Available only to elected township officials. Dues are $60 per year and members receive the OTA monthly newsletter, bimonthly magazine and discounts at the OTA conference. Members also receive access to partner programs, such as those sponsored by the Ohio Township Association Risk Management Authority (OTARMA), the Public Employee Benefits Association (PEBA), and Bureau of Workers’ Compensation discounts through CareWorksComp and CareWorks. Active members can access members-only content on the OTA's website.
- Affiliate: This is a new membership category! Available only to township employees. Examples include administrators, police or fire chiefs, zoning inspectors, board and commission members, cemetery superintendents, etc. Dues are $25 per year, and Affiliate members receive the same benefits as Active members, except for the right to vote in OTA official business or elections.
- Associate: Associate members are any persons or business not associated with a township in an official capacity. Examples include former township officials, businesses, county elected officials or employees. Dues are $10 per year, and Associate members receive limited benefits like OTA emails and the Ohio Township News magazine. They do not have voting rights.
Find My Coordinator
Membership Drive Deadline
The OTA’s annual membership drive concludes June 30 each year. Membership in the OTA is on an individual basis and dues are collected at the county level through County Township Associations (see "Find My Coordinator" above). If your township has not received a request for updated information from your county membership coordinator, please email email@example.com or call 614-863-0045.
Three OTA membership awards are given each year, including Most Associate Members, Highest Percent Increase and Highest Raw Number Increase. The winning counties receive a plaque at the Annual Winter Conference and a free one-page advertisement in the Ohio Township News magazine.
Congratulations to these 2022 membership award winners:
- Highest Overall Number – Van Wert County with 251 associates
- Highest Percent Increase - Carroll County with a 53 percent increase
- Highest Raw Number Increase - Carroll County with 19 new associates