How to Become a Member of the OTA
Become a member of the OTA to receive great benefits and resources!
The Ohio Township Association has more than 5,000 active members, made up of trustees and fiscal officers from Ohio’s 1,308 townships, and more than 3,000 associate members. The annual membership drive is conducted through the 87 County Township Associations (CTAs).
Besides OTA dues, most County Township Associations require a supplemental fee for active and associate membership in their association. The fee is based on events offered to CTA members throughout the year. Some counties host events like ice cream socials or fish fries, which are paid for through their annual dues.
NOTE: If you are a current member directed to this page after encountering issues creating your membership profile for the first time, please refer to this article.
Types of Memberships
There are three types of membership in the OTA:
- Active: Available only to elected township officials. Dues are $60 per year and members receive the OTA monthly newsletter, bimonthly magazine, and discounts at the OTA conference. Members also receive access to partner programs, such as those sponsored by the Ohio Township Association Risk Management Authority (OTARMA), the Public Employee Benefits Association (PEBA), and the Bureau of Workers' Compensation discounts through CareWorksComp and CareWorks. Active members can access members-only content on the OTA's website.
- Affiliate: Available only to township employees. Examples include administrators, police or fire chiefs, zoning inspectors, board and commission members, cemetery superintendents, etc. Dues are $25 per year, and Affiliate members receive the same benefits as Active members, except for the right to vote in OTA official business or elections.
- Associate: Associate members are any persons or businesses not associated with a township in an official capacity. Examples include former township officials, businesses, county elected officials or employees, and any other person so invited by a county association. Dues are $10 per year, and Associate members receive limited benefits like OTA emails and the Ohio Township News magazine. They do not have voting rights.
*Dues amounts listed above are OTA dues only. As noted, additional fees may vary by county.
Find My Coordinator
Membership Drive Deadline
The OTA's membership year runs from July 1 through June 30. The annual membership drive starts April 1 and concludes on June 30 each year. Membership in the OTA is on an individual basis, and dues are collected at the county level through County Township Associations (see "Find My Coordinator" above). If your township has not received a request for updated information from your county membership coordinator, please email email@example.com or call 614-863-0045.
Five OTA membership awards are given each year: three for affiliate members and two for associate members. Affiliate awards include Highest Number, Highest Percentage Increase, and Highest Average Affiliates. Associate member awards include Highest Number and Highest Percentage Increase. The winning counties receive recognition and a plaque at the Annual Winter Conference and one free OTA Winter Conference registration for their membership coordinator (non-transferable, one prize per county).
To be eligible to win, a county must:
- Have had affiliate or associate members the previous year
- Have submitted all membership dues by June 30
- For Highest Percentage Increase categories, the county would need to have at least 20 combined affiliate and associate members from the previous year
- There is only one award per county per year. If a county qualifies for more than one award, the other prize(s) will be awarded to the next highest-qualified county(ies).
- In the case of a tie, the county that has least recently qualified for a membership award will receive the award.
Congratulations to these 2023 membership award winners:
- Highest Number of Affiliates – Lorain County with 107 affiliate members
- Highest Percentage Increase in Affiliates – Logan County with a 400% increase
- Highest Average Affiliates – Erie County with 5.4 affiliate members per township
- Highest Number of Associates – Fulton County with 193 associate members
- Highest Percentage Increase in Associates – Delaware County with a 74% increase